Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Rectal Prolapse

I was presenting a case of Prolapse to a consultant when he asked me the difference between a complete and partial prolapse. Frankly, I had no freakin' idea!

I told him something similar to 3rd and 4th degree hemmoroids.. i.e. if you have to manually replace the prolapsed rectum then it is a complete prolapse; otherwise it is a partial one! He was stumped for a second, perhaps wondering whether it was some new definition or something... he then asked me that 'Bailey & Love' definition.

Y'know, the thing is, how you say something makes a big difference. You can stump even a really learned man if you are confident of what you say, even if it is slightly wrong.

The correct answer is, that you have to feel the prolapsed structure between your index fingere and thumb. If you can feel a double layer of mucosa then it is a partial prolapse. If you feel the muscular layer as well then it is a complete prolapse.
My consultant later added that a prolapse of 4cm or more can be considered as a complete prolapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment